The Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality (CSWGS) at Rice University is an academic research and teaching entity. We sponsor a robust program of community events not only to disseminate academic work on gender and sexuality but also to learn from members of the greater Houston community working on these issues. We promote intersectional analysis in the work we showcase, and diversity in our speakers and audiences. In these ways, we put feminist insights into practice and work toward a more just and equitable society.
• Promote cutting-edge research that responds to community needs, organizations, and the wider public in ways that contribute to their agendas and shape new ones;
• Highlight the relevance of our Center in the Houston community and welcome people from all walks of life to our campus;
• Provide spaces that create and sustain an engaged community of feminist activists;
• Model through our programming how academic work can serve community needs;
• Connect students with individuals and organizations to promote a wide range of careers that further our feminist mission.