Gray/Wawro Lectures in Gender, Health, and Well-being
Through the generous support of Melanie Gray and Mark Wawro, this lecture series recognizes health as a matter of physical and social well-being and highlights gender as a key factor in determining opportunities and quality of life. The series brings to Houston leading scholars whose work inspires deeper understanding of the gender issues underlying urgent health concerns, bridges academic and public conversations, and prompts informed action toward a more just world. Inaugurated in the 2010-2011 academic year as a three year project, CSWGS is honored that Melanie Gray and Mark Wawro have extended their generosity through 2023.
Email us if you would like to join the Gray/Wawro mailing list and stay informed of upcoming events.
All lectures are free and open to the public, though RSVP's are required: email email@example.com.
- Nancy Folbre – September 9, 2021 – "Care, Capabilities, and Covid-19: A Feminist Economic Perspective"
- Focus on Abortion: Americans Share Their Stories – January 12, 2022 – featuring Roslyn Banish, Ana Rodríguez, and Hannah Thalenberg, moderated by Beth Merfish - presented in collaboration with the Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center
- The Cutting Edge - May 12, 2022 – featuring Abigail Rosas, Carly Thomsen, Jennifer Tyburczy, and Natali Valdez, moderated by Virginia Thomas
- COVID and Inequality – October 1, 2020 – featuring Jenifer Bratter, Loretta Ross, and Jess Waggoner, moderated by Melissa Weininger
- The Past and Present of the Sugar Land 95 – October 29, 2020 – featuring Sam Collins III, Hanna Kim, and Jay Jenkins, moderated by Lora Wildenthal
- The Gender of Migration, the Migration of Gender – March 4, 2021 - featuring Jaclyn Dean, Guadalupe Fernandez, and Stephanie Santos, moderated by Alden Sajor Marte-Wood
- Deirdre Cooper Owens – September 26, 2019 – "Revealing Genealogies and The Birth of American Gynecology"
- Ann Gleig – October 30, 2019 – "‘Secrecy is Toxic’: Sexual Violation, Transparency, and Healing in American Buddhism”
- Joan Roughgarden – March 24, 2020 – "The Gender Binary in Nature, Across Human Cultures, and in the Bible” [rescheduled as a Martel Lecture, March 2022 due to COVID-19]